Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Day 159, Goa

I'm okay. I'm alive, no broken bones, in good health, and im filled with joy.
After a short flight from Bangalore we arrived in Goa, India. As the jeep took us further north and through all the fields and dirt roads I began to wonder what kind of world I was entering. There were many middle-aged men and women who wore the baggy clothes and dreadlocks that are the signature of hippies. Apparently many of these people are former businessmen who come to Goa for vacation and never go home. There is something exotic in the air in Goa. We pulled down the dirt road to the house we would we staying in. Tucked back nicely in the woods is our nice little "resort". Im a two minute walk from the beach. There are some pretty nice things I have learned and seen in Goa, and it has been an amazing experience and debriefing. I'll write all these later.

With all that said...Two days ago I was in a motorcycle accident. (re-read first line of post). While in Goa I have had a motorcycle. I was out one night just exploring and enjoying the ride. I was zipping around a corner and went to take a right hand turn (they drive on the left side of the street). I leaned into the turn and realized I was headed straight for a truck. I tucked in and leaned harder to take the turn sharper and pass inbetween the truck and the wall. I turned too hard, me and the bike hit the pavement and skidded across the road. Dont worry, the bike is only a little scratched. I am fine, no broken bones. I have some pretty bad roadrash on my hands, back, hip, shoulder, knee, and ankle. It will heal nicely. And for the worried moms...im sorry, but no, I was not wearing a helmet. They aren't available.

On a lighter note, after dressing the wounds and sleeping a night, I was back on the bike the following day and haven't had another upset. I have enjoyed my time here. We leave tomorrow morning for Mumbai, where we will catch a plane to Italy, and then after a while, another one back to Budapest. Then it's only a week before I come home! I'll post again in a few days, just some random stories and thoughts. Then I'll be there to tell you all in person!

No comments: