Sunday, December 16, 2007

Where did I last leave off....I think it was landing in Cairo. Okay, so to continue the story, we touched down and got our bags and left the airport. We waited outside for the van to come pick us up. Five minutes later a very nice van pulled up...I had just counted all the girls in my group for the fifth time to make sure they were all there and started to pray silently for protection over us as we make our way to where we were staying when I hear shouting and a loud CRUNCH!! I looked up to watch as our nice van smashes into the open door of a taxi. Lots of yelling in Arabic followed. I just kinda smiled and tried to hide the giggles. I dont know why I found it funny. Just did I suppose. We loaded all our bags on TOP of the van....if I hadn't proved that I am the strongest man alive already...everyone knew it after I lifted Esther's bag over my head. I am Nick, hear me roar!

We crunched into the van and began our...uh...interesting trip to the desert compound. The drivers in Egypt honk their horns when you go too slow, when you go too fast, when you are driving normally, when they have to pee, when they want to say hi, when they leave a parking lot, when they arrive somewhere, and sometimes for no reason at all. It was about a three hour drive to the compound. Im not allowed to say exactly where we are staying...I'll tell ya when I get home though.

We got to our rooms, which were free of Rusball clothes, and settled into our beds. SOOO nice! I woke the next morning to someone tapping on our door. It was pitch black in the room because they have really dark think curtains. I felt my way blindly to the door, hoping to get some light into the room so I could see. I turn the handle and opened the door, only to be completely blinded by the incredible light. I closed the door trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I cant see in the dark, and now I cant see in the light...hello....can we not find a middle ground here? After a few minutes my eyes regained their sight and I slowly let the light into the room.

Lesson #1: Open door slowly to avoid blindness

I stepped outside and the girls were already freaking out because it was so beautiful. They took me to the side of the house. We live on the third floor so we get a birds-eye view of the desert surrounding the compound walls. And there I saw the desert rolling out into the distance. A shepherd was guiding his flock of sheep and setting little random fires all over the place. Don't know why, but I hope to find out.

Lesson #2: shepherds can be pyros too

We had a short meeting to figure out what we would be doing that day. The base leader was still working on our arrangements in the city and had given us our schedule.

Agenda for December 15: Relax

I didnt argue. I'll follow that guideline any day. lol. So we had a full day of relaxing. I had about 3 hours of time alone (which is a luxury you dont get alot when living in a community) and I laid out in the warm sun reading and writing. After lunch I played volleyball and soccer with the Egyptian guys for about 5 hours. I returned to my room to shower. I dont think I have ever welcomed a cold shower so much. We have hot water, but that seemed to just make it worse. Cold showers are a must from now on. We had an amazing dinner, then had an amazing worship and prayer time with them. They sang and prayed in Arabic, and we did the same in English.

There is a dog that lives with us here in the compound. A pretty nice German Shepherd. Apparently this dog only speaks Arabic because he didn't respond when I asked him to shut the door on his way out of my room. Im not exactly sure how a dog that sits out in the sun all day in the desert can manage to not smell like complete butt, but he pull it off somehow.

Lesson #3: Dont trust Egyptian dogs to save your life, they don't understand English.

One thing I have learned about the Egyptians, is that they need a lot of encouragement. They live in a land where Muslims dominate and it is difficult to be a Christian. They kept asking us to share testimonies to encourage them in their faith. I hope to be able to strengthen their faith as we are here among them. They are a very friendly people who always smile. I already have a passion for them.

I am not sure exactly how the Egyptians do it, but their meals are spread out pretty far throughout the day. Im used to eating at 1pm for lunch, and dinner at 6pm. Here lunch is supposed to be at 1pm, but its 2:15 as I write this and still no sign of lunch. Dinner isn't until about 8pm or later. They set a time for things, but never follow that time-line. Its like church, watches mean nothing.

Lesson #4: If an Egyptian tells you a meeting will start at 2:00pm, expect them at 5:00pm.

Well, there is the lunch bell, Im off for now. Love ya guys.

No comments: