Thursday, December 20, 2007

Day 90, Cairo, Egypt

What to say. Im not sure. I am writing this now, but you will probably not read it for a while. I am staying at a place inside Cairo, Egypt. I can't talk too much about what we are doing or where we are. On Tuesday we left the compound in the desert and traveled into the city. An Egyptian guy named Gerges is staying with us to translate. As I write, I am sitting on a bed that I'm pretty sure is made with the hardest cloth in the world. No springs, just a bunch of cloth inside it. The room has gray concrete walls, florescent lights, and a joke of a bathroom. We are staying right next to a mosque, so the call to prayer rings through our room 5 times a day....such an eerie sounding chant. The ministry here is very difficult. In Mexico or Budapest or Nashville or anywhere else, you see the results....you go, do dramas, speak, talk with people, lead them to the Lord, and walk away looking at results. Not here. We cannot do dramas, preach on the streets...we have to be secret. We have to wander into churches in groups of two so the undercover police that are here dont know we are a group.

There was a Islamic feast or something this week...They sacrificed lambs in all the mosques....The streets ran with blood, literally, blood from the sacrifices pooled in the streets. I looked out the window as cars passed by with bloody hand prints all over them. As I walked the streets, blood pooled with dust to make soaked patches of road. Many skins were piled all over the place, and I still find body parts lying in the middle of the road; legs, skin, entrails... We are here as prayer missionaries. I believe this is one of the most difficult types of missions. You never get to really see anything being done. You dont get to see any change, and its very difficult to not feel like you aren't getting anything done. So often it feels like we are doing nothing, because we see in the visible but our ministry is strictly spiritual. But we will continue to soldier on in what God has put on us to do. I wish I could tell you a lot about what exactly we are doing, but this is difficult and not really "safe". Plus, I dont know when I will be able to post this. I haven't had access to the internet for a long time now. I can however, tell you about our living conditions, I enjoy doing this anyway.

The bathroom. Ok. You open the door and there is this little bucket looking thing you are supposed to step in to shower in. So you undress and step into this tic-tac sized shower. It has no shower curtain, and the shower head doesn't attach to the wall, so you hold it in your hand and try not to let the water spray your towel. It has two knobs, one for hot, one for cold, but this means nothing at all. I don't know why there are two knobs, they should just have one knob in the middle and write "Random" on it. This would be more accurate. You turn on the water, and no matter how you set it (Hot all the way up and cold off, or cold all the way up and hot off) it decides on its own what the temp will be like. It likes two settings, boiling lava hot and ice cold. It goes back and forth between these two setting about every 20 seconds.

We are supposed to be washing our clothes by hand...needless to say I have dirty clothes

No comments: